Saturday, September 8, 2007

Weinies!!! Bring me weinies!!!



Growing up out East, some of my most fondest memories are of when we would go camping. We had two favorite spots - Moose Brook, where my paternal grandfather had a cabin, and Portage Lakes, where my maternal grandfather would take us quite often. These days the roads are much more constructed, but back then (way back then) it was to me, the best drive ever! I would get a kick when we would meet a vehicle coming the other way because most times the road was basically two ruts for the tires with closed in brush, so manoeuvering was always a challenge as well as good for a laugh.

Once we would get to where we were going, the first thing (besides making sure no bears had gotten into the cabin) was to get the propane going. Next was to get the fire roaring. We were then tasked with grabbing the bucket to get the spring water that was across the way and down the bank. Then it was to get the beans started, cause it would take all weekend to let them bake in the oven...mmmm. As with most of my family, alot of our fondest memories are centred around food!!!...but I digress.....

It wouldn't be too long after that that we (the kids) would be shuffled off to bed, and I, being the oldest, would usually get the coveted raised bed out in the main room...just off where all the action was!! Most nights would find me falling asleep with the hissing of the propane lights, the crackling of the fire and the boisterous voices of my parents and grandparents as they battled over a rousing game of crib or of auction 45. Good Times.

Morning would come too quickly, but quicker for my grandmother as I would open my eyes to watch her banking the fire and putting on some coffee for the rest of the motley crew that was yet to wake up. I'd totter off down to the brook to wash up...(cripes was that water ever cold!!!)

We couldn't eat breakfast quick enough because as soon as that was done it was off exploring...and fishing. We'd walk the brook to the mouth of the river and most times come back with a lovely basket full of the most succulent little brook trout...the downside of course, was having to clean them first.

Sunday breakfast - baked beans, pan-fried trout, eggs, toast and whateverelse we had happened to have left over from the weekend's staples. What a feast!

Having been instilled with a respect for nature and the outdoors, it is now my turn to instill that in my son. I've always said that you can be closer to God sitting in a quiet forest than in a quiet church. It's a bit of a spiritual thing, but hey, that's how I roll.

Now that we live out West, we have the blessings of the best outdoor place on the planet. How could you not want to get out and enjoy nature when you have these as backdrops?

I hope that when my son is older, he will also have fond memories of the times we will have spent in the outdoors. I think we're off to a pretty good start. This past summer was pretty busy enjoying the outdoors: canoeing at Barrier Lake, boating at Little Bow, picnics at Forget-Me-Not Pond, camping at David Thompson and visiting with family at Cluculz Lake.









These are some of the images I will remember and hope that he will too.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Lise...I have not ever been to Canada...the closest being northern Wisconsin and northern Michigan. However, Canada just moved up on my priority list of places to visit. Absolutely beautiful looking! Also, can I just say that I'm a little jealous of everyone wearing coats. It's still bloody hot here in Chennai!...Julie

Unknown said...

I AM THRILLED WITH THE WONDERFUL MEMORIES YOU CARRY WITH YOU. PASSING THEM ON TO YOU SON GIVES ME A VERY HAPPY HEART. YOU ARE A GREAT ..MOM...THANKS VERY SHARING SUCH A HAPPY TIME OF YOUR YOUTH. XX00 MOM