Monday, September 10, 2007

Deep Observations...by Me on Lollygaggers

This will no doubt be a series in and of itself. You've been forewarned.

Lollygagger

At first I thought, there's no way this is an actual word!! I thought it was something my mother thought up...you know, like 'lobester'. Yeesh, now I'm in trouble. But there it is in the dictionary.

And I was reminded of this word as I was on my way to pick up my son from school. On the way, I pass a secondary school, where as it turns out, many lollygaggers attend.

Here's another word - Crosswalk.

Crosswalk and lollygaggers do not mix well.

I am reminded, and can hear quite distinctly, the sound of my mother's voice WHILE crossing the 'cross walk'...'NO LOLLYGAGGIN', which meant you better be picking up those feet and moving it across the crosswalk. Now, if it were my aunt saying those words, it was usually followed up with a slap to the back of the head....uh-huh, you know who I mean on that one.

Listen up kids. It's called a crosswalk for a reason...Cross (as in the road) and walk(how you're supposed to get across). It's not called a crossstroll, or a crosssaunter, or heaven forbid - a crosslollygag.

Get to the crosswalk, and hussle it.
Here endth the deep observation for today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well that didn't take long. You've already forgotten your fortunate traffic situation. Remember India?

LOL

Julie said...

Lollygagger...also a very good word to describe the cows crossing here in Chennai...wouldn't you agree?
--Julie