Saturday, September 29, 2007

Crossing the Line

I happened to be watching the local late night news this week (call it a by-product of too much coca-cola) when an article that I watched made me so incensed I had a hard time to sleep.


As I was laying there, I thought maybe I should just get up and blahg it, but I didn't want it to be a knee-jerk reaction to being upset, so I thought I would wait a day or two before I sat down to the computer. As I am typing, I can feel my blood pressure rising, and realize I'm not much calmer than I was a few days ago regarding this topic.


The news broadcast was doing a commentary piece in response to an American 'undercover operation' which showed two windbreakered, duffel bag carrying 'agents' walking across a farmer's field from Canada and into the United States. The article then went on to accuse Canada about how lax they are about the patrol and security of the northern borders. It then showed a few congressmen with horrored looks on their faces, pointing the fingers, blah blah blah. Then, it showed a lovely little mock up of a map of North America pointing out that they have 1200 border guards between Mexico and the US, but for the more than double the distance across Canada there is only 1000.

Now, here's what sticks in my craw. What I don't understand is that if it's such a big issue to them, why don't they have their own people manning the big bad borders??? The door swings both ways, I mean, should I as a Canadian be concerned about americans sneaking into Canada across an unmanned border? Probably not. To be blunt, most of them think that as soon as you cross the border, you're in igloo country.(not much to worry about there.) If you're so concerned about unwanted individuals getting into your country, then I would think it would be your responsibility.

Maybe instead of pointing the finger, they should be using their thumbs and pointing at themselves. Was it not that long ago that a huge rally in Dallas for illegal immigrants causes such a stir...I can see you're doing a great job on the southern border too.

Perhaps their border agents would be nice enough to sit on that fence while they're at it...watch out for the picket.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Speaking of border control...
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/10/02/bc-dayinvestigation.html?ref=rss

PappaRicky/NanaGin said...

What I don't understand is that when we leave Canada, it's the Americans that check us out and The Canuks when we come back DDDUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! but what really scares me.....wasn't there a problem with our beef, but it was actually found that it originated from the USA..... never seen that much about this on the news *sigh* well, that's Canda, eh?