Monday, September 24, 2007

Deep Observations... by Me on Keeners

Somewhere between ambitious and lazy (figuratively as well as in the dictionary) is a lovely little word I love to say – Keen.

Keen, Keener, Keeners (though you usually don’t get a clump of keen people, they are mostly loners). It has a nice ring to it. It can be used in a variety of ways to mean something complementary as well as used derogatorily.

Like my last blog on the jam – Terri was a keener, but that’s meant in the nicest possible way because I benefited from her keenness…very superb jam.

This weekend I thought I would be ‘keen’ and unpack my suitcases from my trip to India. Now, for those who know me and love me, I openly admit that I am the biggest procrastinator when it comes to unpacking…I can pack til the cows come home, but it takes me forever to ‘un’pack a suitcase. I returned from my trip to India exactly one month ago, so perhaps for me to say keen is stretching it a bit, but hey! I’m a glass-half-full kind of girl…my mother would, no doubt, call it being lazy.

This weekend had us over to visit a girlfriend of mine for dinner. Lovely evening, great food, great wine, great company. I even brought some trinkets from my trip for her.

Somehow we got on to the topic of Christmas shopping…wow!!! Aren’t you ever a keener (see, that’s not meant as a compliment). That is the same as saying, “hey, you’re making me look bad, what are you thinking getting your Christmas shopping done so soon, geez!!! There’s still 3 months left - what's wrong with you for cryin’ out loud!!!! I love her, really, but I wanted to smack her for being such a keener.

My sister has a ticker on her blog, counting down to their home leave. Very keen, but at the same time it’s a way to maintain the sanity as well as counting down to all the fabulous food that will no doubt be on every table that they stop at – because in our family, the world revolves around socializing with food. And trust me – there are many a keen cook in our family.

I was looking through my deepfreezer this weekend, now that I have my slowcooker back, it’s time to start pulling out the roasts and such…(sorry Dan)…as I’m looking through, I come across the turkey that I got for a good deal just after Easter thinking that it would be great to have at Thanksgiving…man, *sigh*, I’m such a keener!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Again, enough with the food!

LOL

PappaRicky/NanaGin said...

I was keen to read your keener blog, you have a keen sense of humour :)Speaking of food...LOL