Tuesday, October 16, 2007

When is Big Business Too Big?

We were in Leduc over the weekend while Paden went visiting.
It gave us an opportunity to study without the 'guilt factor'...gee I should do the dishes, or gee I should make the bed, or gee I should vaccuum the rugs, or gee I should get dinner started. None of that, which was really quite nice.

One of my favorite spots to eat in Leduc is the Cafe Eden...or should I say - was.
We strolled by thinking it would be great to pop in for dinner but instead we saw a sign on the door that began with, 'It saddens us greatly to inform you that we are closed due to staffing shortages'. Awww...it was one of those sad 'awwws'. This restaurant had been around for twenty years.

Alberta is in in the middle of a huge boom in the economy, so much so that places like the Brick are hiring people from Mexico to fill their warehouse orders, the company I work for has hired Hungarians to help in the manufacturing plant, the oilsands are hiring from all over the world because they can't get enough people to fill the positions - positions that pay pretty darn good.

How can a small business compete with that kind of thing?

Everywhere you go there are signs on sandwich boards attempting to lure staff to their establishments...incentive bonuses at Tim Horton's, free movies for you AND your friends at the cineplex.

How can a small business compete with that kind of thing?
Sadly, they can't.

1 comment:

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

well, living in Alberta now for myself, one thing that I see is that the influx of workers into this province has stopped because who the hell can buy anything affordable to live in? The housing prices here are crazy! My 25 year old cousin had a great job in Calgary, but went back to Halifax to buy a house & start a family because she & her boyfriend were priced out of the market in Calgary.