Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Oh Canada

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of Air Canada, and most times even if the fare is higher I will go out of my way to fly with Westjet (chalk it up to personal preference and disdain for the bureaucracy I usually experience). But I have to say, after spending two weeks in India, I was surprised at my excitement when I saw that little maple leaf on the side of that airbus. And I was surprised at my reaction when the welcome and safety rules were announced in English - first...wow! I could understand what they were saying... yes, the strap goes into the buckle and to release (blah blah blah). Not many people probably pay attention to these things when flying, but I was so happy to hear it in my native tongue. The flight attendant must have thought I was wacked to have this big smile on my face as she was demonstrating how the air masks worked! AND THEN I watched the CBC news. Thank you Air Canada.


Ah, it's the little things. And to most people it is a small thing, but being away in a country that is about as foreign as you can get, again I am surprised at, in the relatively short time I was away from Canada, how different my perspective is upon returning.

I love Canada. I've always loved Canada. I think more people should leave Canada - and I say this with the understanding that I believe that they would appreciate it more when they get back. While I do love travelling, I can't see myself living, for any length of time, in a different country. What can I say, I'm a Canadian girl.

Once the bags were in the car, we merged into traffic. The streets were clean and not strewn with garbage. Every one drove in their designate lane, and more than once did I comment on the quiet of the drive. It takes about a half hour from the airport to my house and not once, seriously, did I hear a horn honking, not one. I got home and poured and drank water from my own tap. The power didn't go out through the night. Things that we dont' even think about normally...and, now I do. I look at things differently. Maybe that too, in time will fade, but for now I'm liking the feeling - the feeling of knowing that Canada is an amazing place to be from, and a great place to live.