Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hail to the Baba

For those of you who aren't Ukrainian, Baba is the equivalent of a grandmother.

Having lived in Edmonton for ten years, and having been exposed to ukrainian cuisine, I have to say that never in a million years would I have expected to have to come all the way to India to actually make perogies!! Perogies, pirogies, pyroghy....any way you spell it, those lovely little potato filled dumplings are the king of comfort food....add a little sour cream on the side, and yum-mmeee.

In Edmonton, there is no other place better than miss Wendy's place on the south side (those of you who still live there can attest) for the tasty little treat. She dishes them up with a side of cabbage rolls and mouth watering meatballs. Truly a delight.

My hat goes off to all the Babas out there, because before today, I had taken pirogy eating for granted...they were just always available, and like a junky needing a fix, I decided that today, of all days, I just needed to have some comfort food.

Now, keeping in mind I am currently in India - well, needless to say, it's not like you can mozy down to the neighborhood convenience store and pick up a bag of Cheemos!

"I can do this", I said. "I mean, really, how hard could it be?" Actually, with the right ingredients, not too hard at all. Only thing is, make sure you've got the afternoon booked off cause those little suckers, while worth the time and effort, take alot of time and effort!!

I understand why, now, that Ukrainian women (and men sometimes, to be unbiased) get together in packs (and I do mean packs) to make pirogies. It is definitely an art form I would hazard to declare. And it is an art form that is best accomplished by at least two working diligently, preferably three to four. Four Babas? Ooo, stand back and watch the potato fly!!

As I sat down at the dinner table and ladled my lovely little buttery dumplinged creations onto my plate, I looked around at all gathered around the table, and I swear I could hear angels singing....well, actually I think it was the dog's stomach growling....but oh well!!! it was pure enjoyment at savoring the fruits of our labor in the kitchen.

How do you say pirogy in Hindu??
It doesn't matter really...we made barely enough to go around and will be, no doubt, hitting the kitchen tomorrow for another round. Well, maybe not tomorrow, I think tomorrow the pizza delivery guy will be getting a workout!

I think I'll be having to take up Shumka dancing to work off the pirogies I did eat, but that's a blahg for another day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YOU TWO ARE SUCH KEENERS..BUT GREAT TOGETHER..YOU MAKE THOSE THINGS SOUND YUMMY..I ONLY EAT THEM WITH YOU AND UNCLE ROGER. HE LOVES THEM. KEEP US UPDATED..XX00LOVE U MUCH MOM XX