Sunday, November 25, 2007

'How old do you think I am?' she asks coyly....

Do you remember those Oil of Olay ads that used to be on tv?
I haven't seen any for a while, but the actual product causes much joking in our family....every significant women's birthday warrants a bottle of 'Oil of Old Age' from my grandfather....funny stuff. Funny guy.
But I digress.....

I'm not a 'traditionally' lucky person....and by this I mean contests, lottos, that kind of thing. I always joke about being the only name in the hat and still not winning!!! Seriously.
Well, miracle of miracles, I won hockey tickets for two club seats on a draw at work. Needless to say, I was extremely pleases as well as surprised.

So we're at the hockey game, on Saturday night, it's the second period, and I ask my husband if he would like anything to snack. 'Sure I'll have some popcorn and a beer, thanks Babe'. So off I go to the concession stand. There's not a big line up since I went in the middle of the period... so I walk up to the clerk, who happens to be, I'd say late fifties early sixties, and ask her for a large buttered up popcorn and two beer.

'Can I see some i.d. please?'
BBbbbbbbbbahahahahaha.... she's a funny lady I'm thinking to myself.
So I laugh, well it's a blurting kind of a laugh, a blaugh if you will....
'Seriously???!!!' I exclaim, looking at the same time for the hidden camera.
'Seriously M'am, I need to see some i.d. or I can't sell you a beer'.
I just can't keep up the straight face...I look at the sign posted at the front counter that reads, We have the right to request i.d. on customers who look under 30
I say, ' while I sincerely appreciate the inadvertent compliment, I just turned 41, and I'd like a beer please'.....I got the shrug!! the shrug!!!!! (it's my own fault, I loathe to carry a purse and since hubby drove I didn't pack my licence).
'Okaaaay. I guess I'm having a diet coke then (Miss Kathy with a 'K')...my husband doesn't need all those empty calories anyway'.
That will be x amount of dollars....so I hand her my bank card (I rarely carry cash as well)...
'Sorry, we only take cash or credit cards'....again with the blaughing and a slight shake of the head.

'If you would be so kind to hold on to those items' I said in my sweetest voice, 'I will send my husband back with his wallet'...Thank yuuuuu.... and off I go back to our seats with such a look of such sheer puzzlement on my face that Mark couldn't resist to ask what had transpired since I came back empty handed....
Like HE looks any older than, oh, 25!!! (better be dishing out your i.d. buddy!!!)

So off he goes, much to the amusement of the people sitting behind us who just happened to eavesdrop in on our conversation...

So I guess I'm luckier than I first thought, especially in the genes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did Mark get ID'd?

Unknown said...

OHHH YOU ARE A SPRING CHICK AND YES..THE BEST GENES OF ALL HEEE..LOOKING SUPER FANTASTIC..I WOULD SAY...BUT THEN I AM YOUR MOM XXX000

PappaRicky/NanaGin said...

Reminds me of Oromocto..22 yrs old and refused a beer because I didn't have an ID. the drinking age was 18!!!! Oooohhhhh.....how we're ENVIED!!! :)