Thursday, July 17, 2008

United We Fly....



Wednesday saw us heading out to San Fransisco with Danie and Connor for a few glorious days in 'Caleefornnniya'. Wow, could I live there. Seriously. I would happily live out my days in Santa Cruz feeding the seagulls and listening to the sealions happily bark their way under the pier.

I didn't realize how much I was missing the ocean (any ocean) living in Alberta. I mean, sure, I will readily admit how spoiled I am getting to see the glorious Rockies every day, but boy it did my soul something to see the ocean and step into it (no matter how damn cold it was)!!

We grabbed a car and toodled down highway one down the coast and our first stop was Pacifica...a lovely little seaside town with quaint houses along the slopes, beautiful tanned surfers (right Danie??) milling about under the outdoor shower spigots...my my, yes it certainly did the heart good!!! heehee, I digress....

So after dipping out toes, we continued along down the coast past artichoke fields as far as the eye can see until we came upon Santa Cruz. *Insert big sigh here* I instantly fell in love with a gorgeous white hip roofed house along the shore road. Just down from there was the Pier, where the boys found their own little treasure by way of geocache (Paden is SO hooked, it's funny and fun all at the same time). We grabbed the prescribed salt air, salted fries and watched the salty dogs and seagulls. I just loved looking out over the water at all the boats, and licking my lips and tasting the salt air on them.

We were treated to a rogue sea lion who happily looked up to watch us watching him, then he moved off to grab a snack of his own, no doubt.

Across from the pier was a carnival, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it's the same carnival that is in the opening shot of 'The Lost Boys'. With the wind blowing, you could occasionally pick up the sound of laughter and people squealing with delight on the rollercoaster.

We strolled for a bit, then headed further down the coast to Monterey. Great shops, food (highly recommend The Fish Hopper) and geocaching. By the time we started heading back, it was after nine o'clock which didn't get us back to San Fran til almost midnight....but what a great day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YOU CAN NOT BEAT THE SMELL OF THE OCEAN OR THE WIND MESSING UP YOUR HAIR. ITS THE MOST PEACEFUL PLACE TO BE. SO GLAD YOU SHARED THIS TIME WITH YOUR SON AND NEPHEW AND SISTA!MEMORIES ARE WHAT KEEP OUR HEARTS ALIVE. GREAT BLOGS..OHH AND PHOTOS..XX00MOM

Diane Mandy said...

It sounds like a wonderful time. Glad you and your sister are getting to spend some quality time together.